Sunday, February 22, 2015

a strange dust lands on your hands

This week my class, at Sketchbook Skool, has come around again. The course is called 'Seeing' and is about, well, seeing. Really looking at your subject and perhaps seeing all those details that, if you weren't drawing, you'd never notice. I try to demonstrate this through one of my collection drawings.
Here are a couple of my drawings of one collection - my friend's collection of keys to be precise. They belonged to her father who had all sorts of collections. Most of these, I believe, were from model railways and clocks. I love keys. I love the symbolism of them and all the stories they could tell and doors the could unlock. I'm particularly happy with the drawing below. Don't know why. I just like it.
If you're interested, you can find out more about becoming a student at Sketchbook Skool HERE.

4 comments:

Andria said...

I love keys, as well, both as literal objects and as symbols. I just poked around the Sketchbook Skool web site, and it looks just amazing! You all are a truly fantastic roster of instructors.

winna said...

I asked Amazon if they will help me out with getting the French version by mistake---so pleas disregard my earlier "comment"... the wheels are in motion of this .

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Hi, Winna, my book was published by a French publisher. There is not another version I'm afraid. The typed text is just a translation of the English written text in my drawings. Sorry, if this was not explained by Amazon. I have no control over what they do. I make it clear, in my own listings,on Etsy.

Thank you Andria, it is a privilege to be amongst such great teachers and artists who I've admired for many years.

Cheers

Unknown said...

I'm currently spending my lunch break looking through your blog because it's so interesting! I'd love to know what materials you used to make these drawings? Beautiful retro feel