Friday, November 29, 2013

i want to do whatever common people do

I've been obsessing over this guy recently. I've always been a fan but, just of late, I've fallen for him in a big way. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because I've recently spent some of my evenings in a seedy bouchon in France or because I have been designing and illustrating posters for the Dr Sketchy events that I co-run.

I've always been a big fan of poster artwork from the Victorian freak show posters to the drop dead gorgeous Art Nouveau. And, of course, Toulouse Lautrec. This really was art for the people. The working classes. The common folk. Of which I am proud to be one.

Here are some of mine. I can honestly say that I've enjoyed making these above all of the recent work I've made. I hope it shows.





And, now my mind is racing with ideas of creating a Dr Sketchy Sheffield does Toulouse Lautrec event. Now, there's a poster I cannot wait to make.

9 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

These are awesome! I love Lautrec and found his life very interesting.

sarita said...

Just fab, Andrea...:). I think your work is a very good reflection on his work. Well done!

Carin Winkelman said...

I absolutely love these. The third one is my favorite! And I share your love for those old poster artists.

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks guys!

enricap said...

If you can read french I recommend the comic "Le Cabaret des Muses" by Gradimir Smudja, I know it has been translated in several languages but I don't think english is one of them. The art itself is worth getting the books, but the stories are captivating.

acirnep said...

If you can read french I recommend the comic "Cabaret des Muses" by Gradimir Smudja. It has been translated in several languages but as far as I know english is not one of them. It's worth getting hold of the books for the art only, but the stories are captivating as well.

acirnep said...

If you can read french I recommend the comic "Cabaret des Muses" by Gradimir Smudja. It has been translated in several languages but as far as I know english is not one of them. It's worth getting hold of the books for the art only, but the stories are captivating as well.

Unknown said...

I just discovered Lautrec a few weeks ago at the good ole Library and I just discovered your blog a few minutes ago. Very good work. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.
Tony

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Wow! These are awesome!!!!