Wednesday, January 05, 2011

in the twist of seperation

Hello folks, and a Happy New Year to you all. No, I didn't fall off the face of the earth I just got distracted by the holidays. The festive season didn't start too well for me and all I really wanted to do was lock myself away at home alone but my friends and family had other ideas. Which I am very pleased about. It was just 'what the doctor ordered'. Hope you all had a great time too.

Here's a couple more drawings from my travel Moleskine. I've almost finished this sketchbook. Just a few pages to go. I am then going to treat myself to another Moleskine for the second volume. I've enjoyed this theme so much I can't stop at one.

You might recognize the drawing above. I made THIS POST about it a couple of months back. I really liked the simplicity of the composition, but I don't do simplicity (as you might have noticed) and I wasn't at all confident that I could leave the page as it was. I was right to not be confident because this is what happened, below. Now that I see them on screen I'm not sure which I prefer. What do you think?

So, I know things have been slow around here but I have so much happening in the next couple of weeks. There'll be creative new year resolutions, news about how business is going and how trying to become an illustrator is working out, updates on all of your orders, new posts on my children's book blog and, of course, LOTS of new drawings. I hope you'll be joining me in this next phase of my journey in 2011 (2011? surely that can't be right).
Happy New Year my friends.

23 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

Hi Andrea,

So nice to "see" you again.

While I love the simplicity of the pencil alone, I also love the Paris page (and it is more "you").

I'd hate to have to choose between them.

xoxo

Karen said...

I will definitely be joining you. Just found your blog and I love it!

Laura said...

Happy New Year! Sorry to hear your holidays didn't start out so happy, but it sounds like they ended well. Looking forward to what you've got in store... And as for the illustrations, there's so much to appreciate in them both. I love simplicity but, like you, sometimes can't leave things so simple when I'm creating them. Both are beautiful creations nonetheless!

MrCachet said...

I know one thing for certain - I'll be following you for another year!

wandamarie said...

Wonderful moleskine/zine, Andrea. My watercolor class is doing a project that is very similar to your tromp l'oeil method. Good luck with Illustration in 2011.

Chris Hack said...

Happy New Year to you. Love your travel Moley. Brilliant work. Although I think i prefer the lone pencil. It was really simple and elegant. Gorgeous work as ever. Can't wait to see what you have in store.

Nicole Elena Robertson said...

Just found your blog. I'm running around the world in a little. This gives me some serious inspiration.

Anonymous said...

What?!? "trying to become an illustrator" Rubbish! You ARE an illustrator. Cheers and Happy New Year!
/Tine

Jim Bumgarner said...

I've been following you for a good couple of years. You are one of my main inpirations here online, and I don't plan to turn my allegiances anytime soon. I LOVE that pencil, and I LOVE simplicity, but I also LOVE Paris -so the second would be my choice.

Sang said...

my first time leaving a comment although i frequently drop by! such beautiful drawings. i'm so sad bc i'm too broke to buy your work, but again, these are wonderful. please keep up these elaborate illustrations, they inspire me always.

cactus petunia said...

I agree with Anonymous...You ARE an illustrator! It's only a matter of time before you're a FAMOUS illustrator. Happy New Year!

jill said...

Great post as ever and will continue to follow you

Dan Kent said...

Welcome back! If you aren't an illustrator, who is, hmmmm?? The drawings are excellent as always. I am sorry to hear about your holidays. I went to sleep this new year's because there are some events on the horizon that are scary and potentially tragic, and it didn't seem right to do anything but sleep, so I can relate. The best thing for it all - make art!!

Alexandra said...

I love your drawings!!!

Anonymous said...

Your drawings are most awesome. If I had one tenth of your talent, I would be so excited. I appreciate that you share your work with us. You are quite an inspiration. Keep up the amazing work. Kay

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you so much guys. A Happy New Year to you all.

I guess I meant to say 'a professional illustrator' because each and everyone of us are illustrators, right?

I look forward to your company in 2011.
x

Cheryl Gebhart said...

I'll certainly be joining you again for this year. I love your drawings and your blog. I prefer the second drawing over the first - less simple, but more interesting IMHO.

Irene La Zia said...

Hi Andrea,
I'm sorry to read your festivities didn't start well, I hope things are recovering. Hang in there :)
I can't decide which of the two drawings I prefere... maybe the first one, for its simplicity. On the other hand the second is more "you". Actually I like both.

Happy New Year to you :)

Franziska San Pedro said...

Happy creative new year to you, too! I've been reading your blog for a while but haven't commented on anything.. so you couldn't know that I am one of your avid readers! Love your sketches, very inspiring,

Franziska
@FlavorDesigns

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thanks, lovely people.

I welcome you all new and old (you know what I mean!) to my blog. And I look forward to your company on the New Year.

xxx

Sharmon Davidson said...

I've decided. I prefer both.

AA said...

hohoho your design is great,,, i love it,,

Helen Ström said...

Amazing and often funny drawings as usual!! ... and me always here to admire. : )